Page Under Construction
The instructions in this Tutorial are currently being updated to reflect the latest version of Confluence 5.0. If you need help getting started with Confluence, you can go directly to the Confluence 5.0 User Guide for assistance.
Only CommonWiki Administrators Can Create a New Space
To reduce the possibility of space duplication, we've configured CommonWiki to only allow spaces to be created by CommonWiki Admins. If you are not an admin, you will not see the "Create Space" icon mentioned below. If you'd like to request a new space on CommonWiki, please refer to Requesting New Spaces to get started.
Now that you have seen how the menus work, you are ready to start creating content in Confluence. Let's begin by adding a new space.
- Log in to Confluence, if you are not logged in already, by clicking the 'Log In' link at the top right of your Confluence screen.
- Right-click the 'Dashboard' link at the top left of your screen and open the link in a new browser window.
Hint: Perform the rest of these instructions in the new browser window.
- Your Confluence Dashboard appears in the new window. On the left of the screen is a list of spaces. (The Demonstration Space will be one of those spaces.)
- Click the 'Create a space' link, located below the list.
- The 'Create Space' screen appears.
- In the 'Enter a Space Name' box, type a name for your new space. You may want to use your department name (e.g. 'IT', 'Finance' or 'Marketing') or a name that identifies the purpose of the space (e.g. 'Test Space').
- In the 'Enter a Space Key' box, type a short abbreviation of the space name (e.g. 'IT' or 'TEST').
- Under 'Who can use this space', all the boxes are ticked. You don't need to change anything at this time. For information about space permissions, please see the documentation.
- Under 'Choose Theme', the 'Default Theme' is selected. Keep the Default Theme for now. For information about themes, please see the documentation.
- Click the 'OK' button, located at the bottom of the screen.
- The home page of your new space appears.
Creating a page
In the tutorial: